Thursday, August 21, 2014

Nerdicus NES Review #125: Chessmaster


Title : Chessmaster

Publisher : Software Toolworks

Developer : Software Toolworks

Genre : Chess

Players : 1 / 2 Players

Release Date : 1990

Estimated Value (as of today's date) : $2-$4

Quick shout out to my old high school Computer Programming teacher and Chess Club sponsor, Mr. Mulhearn. He actually had this game hooked up to a projector in case we didn't have enough chess tables set up during the after school program. What? You're actually surprised I was in chess club? I already mentioned it before. If you have been reading my reviews, you would have known already. GEEZ.

This is one of those games that makes me laugh for odd reasons. First of all, every time I see the box art or the cartridge, I always picture myself playing chess against Gandalf the Grey. Chess players don't look like wizards....unless your the chessmaster. Hell, I wanted to be chessmaster just so I can be a wizard. Just look at that beard.

Chessmaster also happens to be one of those games that I think EVERYONE owns in their NES collection. It was one of the first games I bought when I started buying my collection, and it always seems to be in every bundle lot I end up buying. I can't even tell you how many garage sales I've been too, and I've seen this game sitting on a table. Chessmaster is everywhere. They must have produced a million copies of this game. 

Going back to what I said about chess club. Playing this game on a projector was great. We would all sit around and comment on what the players were doing as they made their move, and judged them for it. Was a great way to improve. Sitting around near our computers, and looking up at the screen as two other kids played a NES. Really wonder if he still has that set up in his classroom. May have to pay him a visit..hell I don't even know if he still works there, that was over 15 years ago.

Well, now that I made myself feel old....time to review.


Pretty groovy music for a chess game on the title screen. That's right. I said groovy. Damn you people are judgmental.

Usually I don't add a lot of pictures, but I just have to show you the amount of options you get in a chess game. It's pretty damn overwhelming. Just look at this. I can't believe there are this many options even available. I mean, it's seriously awesome that they put all this in. They really wanted this game to be a chess mentor. It's chess to the professional max!


I really can't say much about the game. The computer AI is challenging enough that it'll continue to provide enough replay value if you're into chess. I do find the PC versions of chess games a little bit more user friendly in terms of controls and graphics, but I really don't understand why you need to worry about it.

It's chess.....it's not that hard to play chess on a console.


I have to apologize...this review really isn't that long, but I really can't think of anything to talk about. I always prefer the real thing over video games, but this is a close replacement for it.

Like chess? get this game...it's the best chess game you're going to get...if you don't want a battle mode lol.

Final Score (out of 5) :




Until next time. Keep on gaming!

1 comment: