Thursday, September 4, 2014

Nerdicus NES Review #129: Circus Caper


Title : Circus Caper

Publisher : Toho

Developer : Advance Communication Company

Genre : Action Platformer

Players : 1 Player

Release Date : 1990

Estimated Value (as of today's date) : $6-$8

I never did like the circus. First of all, I don't like the idea of putting animals through that sort of crap just so it can entertain us. Elephants don't naturally stand on top of little boxes in the wild. Or maybe they do? For God's sake, man! Have you not seen Dumbo!? DID YOU NOT SHED A TEAR FOR THAT BIG EARED ELEPHANT!?

Oh and don't even get me started on those high wire acts. One fall...and that's it...done. I don't care if you have a net. Don't get me wrong though, I have a huge amount of respect those performers. They're insanely talented. Crazy. But talented.

Last but not least. Clowns. Need I say more? You've seen / read IT, right? Ever since then I'll never look at a clown the same way. They're all Pennywise to me. Freaky, make up wearing murderers. ALL OF THEM. You've heard about that clown in the UK right, that just stood at various corners and waved at passing cars with a creepy, jagged tooth smile? UGH!

Well, now we have the chance to experience all that in a NES game! YAY!! Okay, maybe not as dramatic as I make it seem, but still, it's a circus adventure!
A circus adventure involving the KIDNAPPING OF YOUR SISTER! See, I told you that the circus was evil. Even these carnies insist on kidnapping young children in order to sacrifice them to their demon Gods. This is why I don't go to circuses. That's a word, right? That sounds incredibly wrong, but oh well.


Man, just look at that clown. Tell me that doesn't freak you out. He's like riding on some sort of rocket balloon or something. What the hell is that supposed to be!?

The game is a typical action platformer, and actually reminds me a lot of the Nightmare on Elm Street game. You'll have your main level, and a large number of sub levels that you are required to go through in order to defeat bosses and collect keys. Each sub level has it's own theme based on various circus events, so you'll have plenty of opportunities to be freaked out by clowns, because this game is filled with them.

The ultimate goal is to find and defeat the Ringmaster who has kidnapped your sister. I don't know why, probably to turn her into a popcorn salesperson or something. You start off with a limited amount of life and weapons at your disposal, but as you clear out each sub-level you'll gradually "level up"


The game is seemingly impossible to beat, and I wish I could say it's purposeful. Your avatar just likes to flail around like a hopeless child as he somehow turns into a magnet for enemies. They fly at you from every direction and practically hit you no matter where you are on the screen. And by enemies, I'm talking about floating clown heads.

Floating.....clown....heads....

Let that thought sit for a bit. I found myself dead before I even knew what was going on. In fact, I just had more fun watching my character spaz out as I ran through the levels.

Besides the regular levels you'll travel through, you'll also encounter a large number of bonus levels which honestly are a lot more entertaining. Probably because you can't DIE in them and they are more rewarding. Rewarding as in you actually feel like you're getting somewhere. Sometimes I feel like Timmy doesn't even care about his sister and he's more concerned about killing all the circus-folk.


You have one minute. Exactly one minute to stop playing this horrible game. If you haven't played this game before, consider yourself lucky. This is the first time playing it, and the first time hearing about it. Unfortunately for me, I can't go back and time and forget this from ever happening.

The only thing this game does, is reaffirm the fact that I hate the Circus. And Clowns. Maybe I'm bias..,maybe the game does have some good points to it....nah..

This game deserves a type of scoring...

Final Score (out of 5) : 1 pennywise....1....EVIL...PENNYWISE. Sweet dreams...




Until next time. Keep on gaming!

0 comments:

Post a Comment